The blossoming digital age

How many times have you found yourself scrolling aimlessly on your mobile phone? I find myself lost in the digital world far more often than I would like to admit. After a while, the images seem to lose colour, and the words seem repetitive. That’s when I know I’m scrolling but not seeing or registering the content.

With the rapid increase in various types of content on different digital platforms, brands often find themselves with low engagement, reduced reach, and barely any interaction. They’ve done everything right – selected the best image, added relevant hashtags, posted the right time, tagged the relevant people.

In spite of all the effort through analysis and measuring tools, the content ends up on the Internet Graveyard. The Internet Graveyard is a place I like to call where content immediately goes when the audience fails to react or relate to it. The Graveyard is a bottomless pit; once the content reaches there, it is very difficult to revive it.

So how do we prevent this from happening? As the world mass produces content on a daily basis, it is very important to find your audience and grasp their attention for as long as possible.

1. Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer 📊

As important it is to know your audience, it is perhaps more important to know your competitors. Once you find your target market, the first step is to investigate their likes. The companies, brands, products, and influencers that your customers follow are also your competitors (indirect competition). It is necessary to see what they are doing right, and how you can incorporate it in your communication.

2. How well do you know the company 💡

It is very important to keep in mind that your personality and the company’s personality are two different entities. Understanding the values of the company, what it stands for and what makes it unique – use these points of identity in your messages to keep a consistent brand personality. Try not to change the tone of your brand rapidly, make it a gradual change wherein your audience can see the process and the reasoning behind it.

3. Scroll, scroll, scroll, STOP, SCROLL BACK 📱

With attention spans getting shorter and shorter, bring your punchline to the top of your message! The first line should not only ‘WOW’ your audience but also make them want to read more, understand more, and eventually make them come back for more.

4. Watch your tone 

Writing a great copy would amount to nothing if the tone of the brand doesn’t remain consistent. Pick a primary tone – serious, educational, playful, interactive (with questions) – and make sure it’s used throughout your communication to create an identity that your audience can quickly recall.

5. Keep your ears open 👂

Quite often, we lose ourselves in our products and services. It is quite essential to take a stand in terms of public or political events in order to relate to your consumers' needs. Don’t hesitate to have a voice, a stand. Pick a few battles, not all events will align with your brand. Always ensure that you’re pushing your services but also creating an experience for the consumer. Because they will come back if they feel valued, and most importantly heard.

Does the digital world seem a little more within your reach now? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back!

❗ Check out our boot camp on Digital Transformation